Saturday, September 20, 2014

Five for Friday...or Saturday

Hey ya'll!

So I am here to link up with Doodle Bugs for the Five for Friday..although today is Saturday that's ok! I was exhausted last night all I wanted to do was eat an amazing salad from my favorite salad stop, drink a Sonic Dr. Pepper (not even diet! the hardcore real kind), and lay on the couch to watch a movie with the hubs.






I am trying so hard this year to have an even more organized guided reading block. I have 6 different groups this year and only can get in 2 rotations in the morning schedule. I also have time in the afternoon during our "ELT" extended learning time to pull 1 more group. I will project this on the smartboard and the kids will know where to go without me having to really do much. I have infinite cloned the images so I can just pull over different ones if needed. I have made one for everyday AM and ELT so its already done each week and each group hits each spot at least 1 or 2 times. I hope it works! It sure looks pretty haha but we all know how that can go. (clipart from My Cute Graphics)




We have been learning about Community Helpers this week. I made a chart with them about what they already "knew" and then we watched a video and read some books and they added what they "learned" in a new color. This lets them see clearly what their new learning is. 


We wrote why we loved living in the USA on Patriots day on 9/11. This kid cracked me up. 
" I like living in the USA because we can have a lot of chillin (children).

Working on complete sentences in 1st grade is never ending. I am by no means an anchor chart guru and I am sure the ones I make are not "pinterest"material haha but I think it gets the point across and they can use it as a reference on the wall throughout the year. 

To introduce writing workshop this year I read "Rocket Writes a Story". They absolutely love this book! In the story Rocket has a word tree of words he knows and can write about. So after reading I quickly threw together a word tree for us to use when writing. I then stapled different picture icons of things they can write about: sports, swimming, summer, cars etc.


We are also plugging away at word families. I try to incorporate a few different things each week with our poems. They always include the word families (one of my teammates is a genius at writing these poems for us!) we also will focus on grammar and conventions as well as poetry aspects. An example of the week might be:
M-build the words from the word families
T-introduce poem and read it together clapping when we say and hear a word family word.Give poem to the kids and they put it in their poetry folder to practice at buddy reading or read to self
W-Read the poem again and circle the word families as well as number the sentences-kids highlight or circle the word families in their own poems
TH- Read poem again and maybe look at punctuation, nouns etc
F- Have S visualize and draw on their poetry sheet

I found these printouts from "Teaching in the Tongass". They are think time sheets. If a child is having an issue with participating, working appropriately or interacting with others they can use this to reflect. I put them in bags (boy/girl) and put a dry erase marker in each bag. If needed, I will point to the think time bag and they can go grab the appropriate one, go to my teamies room next door, fill it out, reflecting on the problem and how to solve it, and come back to discuss it with me. 


We have been studying the body organs:stomach, lungs,brain,heart. Every year for the past 5 years or so I have let my kids make a brain.  They get a brain template and we staple it onto a sentence strip. They color the brain and then glue macaroni on top. I always tell them the macaroni represents all the new things we have learned in first grade so far. They seem to think that's cool. After it dries we make a hat out of it and they wear it during the day. 




Another project I have been doing for awhile now is the body shirt. (I blogged about it last year) We ask the kids to bring in a white t shirt. We use their hand to create the different body organs we have studied. They look so cute when they have the shirt and the hat on!



Well I am so proud of myself for blogging this week, because it has been an exciting 4 weeks of school this year ;) Until we meet again, have a BLESSED weekend!

"So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. Remember the great reward it brings you. Patient endurance if what you need now, so that you will continue to do God's will. Then you will receive all that he has promised." Hebrews 10:35-36

Don't know about you but that's all I need to know and hear to keep the faith when things get rough. :)



1 comment:

  1. I love your body study! Cool ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete