Friday, January 16, 2015

Five for Friday and Freebies!!!

Honestly I do not know how people blog daily or even twice a week. Where does the time come from? Especially if you have kids. Please share your secrets!! I mean I am a good multitask-er and can make to do lists like nobody's business but I can not seem to find time to blog and do TPT during the week. *sigh*

Well I guess that just means blog posts typically full, so bless you if you keep up with me and get through any of my posts till the end ha!

Linking up for the Five for Friday with Doodle Bugs!




First up! Some organizing tips if you are in the market.
We do word families each week, sometimes focusing on one particular word family (-ar) sometimes two (-at/-an). We have this amazing place called the "printshop" that we can send orders for copying and they will appear at your mailbox all complete (we hope right?!) So they uploaded some word family cards over the years and they correspond exactly with the words we do every week. They are word/picture match cards. So basically one day out of the week we practice our words using the word cards and then there is the picture card to help with meaning if needed. These are really helpful with more difficult words maybe the kids have never seen before and also for the ESL kids too!
Well after acquiring these throughout the entire year I had to find an easy way to store them so I can get them out each nine weeks quickly.
I have enough for each kid to have a partner and work on these (so about 12 sets per family) I put each set in ziplocks and then found these amazing plastic bins at Walmart to keep them in per nine weeks. I then labeled each bin and WAAA-LAH, WAH-LAH, WAH-LAW.....something like that....
Organization perfection! I can not tell you how ecstatic I was when they all fit like this in my closet....well my teamie can tell you, I think I was a tad over-excited ;)
So now all I have to do is pull out the nine weeks tub and take each baggy and put it in my rainbow cart by the week I am teaching it and it is DUNZO!
Here is a friend in action working on the -AR family.After she matched them she called me over and said, "Look! I made an ARCH! you know -AR!" BLESS HER!





Next! Let's be real ya'll, we use worksheets in class sometimes. TRUE LIFE- it has to be done every once in awhile. For the most part we use journals and interactive responses but own it, worksheets reflecting what you are teaching happen...ok, now that we all admit that horrible travesty, I move onto a way I figured out how to organize and keep class sets of things maybe I just didn't get to. Maybe we had a fire-drill, computer lab, forgot....you know the days fly by...instead of recycling them of course a perfect opportunity for the sub tub. My sub tub is busting at the seams right now because I refuse to be out if at all possible. Lice has been about the only reason and even then I can tell you I was tempted to douse my head in chemicals and throw a shower cap on those bad boys. lol. (speaking of sub tub I have an idea I am working on and will share when I have a moment more )
Anyways! So these extra sheets that pile up, they can come in very handy if maybe you have an unexpected meeting, parents want extra homework for their kids...(does that even happen haha) etc. I made dividers for each content area using fun colors of course and then filed the extra class sets. Keep in mind these are sets covering concepts already taught so the kids can complete them pretty independently. Now all I have to do is find the content I want to pull and in a snap I can utilize those papers without being wasteful.



Freebie! We have been studying objects in the sky and day/night in science. I quickly threw together a little anchor chart for day/night to kind of kick start our discussion. So hopefully you can find it useful in your room too!
Click here to download it!


Freebie 2! I was reminded of this little organizer from a friend this morning-I had created a few years ago for my team when we were planning and trying to write down the grades we were taking for the week and making sure we all were on the same page (no pun intended) about what to grade, how to grade etc.
It basically helps to break it down so you don't miss anything!
Here is an example. (I used Cutie Pop font) Please excuse the messy lefty handwriting.

Click here to download this!




Side note- did you know they have the 100's charts up to 120 now!!1 Finally something to correspond with what we have to teach to! Yahoo! Its the little things.
(I bet normal people don't notice but I do- the number line is not even....drives me bonkers)


Side note #2- Just take a gander at this beauty- no it is not a book fair. Let's just say I have an AMAZING admin team and they are very gracious and we are BLESSED. All mentor texts to teach with!



That's all for now! Hope you made it to the end! Have a BLESSED weekend- long weekend :)


"Love does no wrong to others, so love fulfills the requirements of God's law." Romans 13:10


1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous of your mentor texts!!! You are so lucky.

    I love that they have extended the 100 chart to now include 120. I'm sure it makes things so much easier.

    It's not just you with the crooked number line. Things like that drive me crazy. They just finished remodeling the office in my school and the sign to the new office door is slightly crooked. It's going to drive me insane by the end of the year. I'm ready to rip it off the wall and hang it again. :)

    Have a fantastic week.
    -Tracy
    4th Grade Dynamic Duo

    ReplyDelete