Saturday, February 14, 2015

Deep in the Heart of Texas Blog Hop

Welcome to the "Deep in the Heart of Texas" blog hop!  Over 40 Texas teacher bloggers have joined together to share what we love about our state as well as ideas and freebies that we love.  You will also have the opportunity to enter to win TpT products and/or TpT gift certificates by entering using the rafflecopters included in each post.  Down at the bottom, you will see all of the blogs participating in the hop.  Just click and you will be taken to their posts.  We hope you love what you find.  Happy Valentine's Day!

Hey Friends! Welcome to my part of the world! I have been teaching first grade for 6 years and love it!! I also taught 2nd grade for 1 year. I am a "tad" OCD...ok well maybe a tad more than a tad ;) I have gotten better since marrying my husband (who I met online "Christian Mingle" maybe you have seen the commercials..it really works!) I really enjoy spreading God's word and getting to share the joy in His love. 

I live just outside H-town...in a smaller town...although anything in or around Houston is not small anymore. We moved a little further out last year to get more of the country vibe but now they are building and it is starting to go away.
We do have a little downtown area with antique stores and such and I love going down there because it reminds me of the tiny town I grew up in down south. 
I also love my church. My hubby and I have been beyond blessed to get plugged into a church so inviting and full of God seeking people. "Making it easy for people to find and follow God" is their mission statement and it couldn't be more true! 




Since I love organization so much, I like finding fun new ways to help manage my classroom and also create more independent learners for my littles. 
Enter the "Fun Friday" coupons




I put their magic number on the easel on Friday morning so they know which assignment I am still missing and they can get turned in. This saves me digging through desks and repeating myself a million times...(almost)

How I use these:1st grade is a pivotal year. We have so much to cover in a small amount of time. In my class we work really hard every day of the week. However, I do like to declare Friday a “Fun Friday”. Basically if my kids work really hard Monday –Friday morning they can earn their way to Fun Friday that afternoon. If they have finished all the work I have asked to be complete on time by Friday and their behavior has been good then I give them a “Fun Friday pass”. They love coming in on Friday morning or even after specials on Friday to find a pass on their desk. Once Fun Friday begins they bring me their pass (coupon) and can begin their “Fun Friday”. Some options I have are: free draw-playdough-legos-puzzles-computer-Ipads-games etc. Hopefully you can find these useful as well to motivate your students!

I do print and laminate these so they can be used over and over J

I also love teaching about the body and my kids really enjoy all the activities we do as well. After teaching the brain they get a brain template and we staple it onto a sentence strip. They color the brain and then glue macaroni on top. I always tell them the macaroni represents all the new things we have learned in first grade so far. They seem to think that's cool. After it dries we make a hat out of it and they wear it during the day. 


Another project I have been doing for awhile now is the body shirt. (I blogged about it last year) We ask the kids to bring in a white t shirt. We use their hand to create the different body organs we have studied. They look so cute when they have the shirt and the hat on!




I love freebies and try to create and share them when I can! One thing we teach in first is the food chain and animal interdependence. My kids adore this topic! So I created these freebies to help them practice the concept. 

They use the pictures to create their own food chain and then write about the process. I like to integrate as much as possible. 
Click here for this one!

This second one includes a poster to help them understand vocabulary as well as categorizing. 
Click here to download.


Click on the buttons below to visit some other awesome Texas bloggers!






One more thing before I go: My friend Julie who is also a teacher creates the cutest clip art and fonts! I asked her to make some Texas clip art for a product I am working on. She did AMAZING! I am SO happy with the package she created and I bet you will be too!! Just in time for Texas blog hop too!! She has black and white, color, and a combo of both. Go take a look at it along with her other super cute stuff!!! 


Click here for the Texas pack



Have a BLESSED weekend!!

"In His grace, God has given us different gifts for doing things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you." 
Romans 12:6

What a powerful verse! There are many times I feel inadequate and question my abilities. Whether it be as a teacher, spouse, sister, daughter, friend etc. But when I read this verse it reminds me that God has bestowed on us gifts that are unique to each of us. We will not and can not be great at everything, but we can use His particular gifts given to us to the best of our abilities and not to waste them. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the Bible verse and that you share your faith on your blog. Glad to be part of the blog hop with you! Happy Valentine's Day! Julie

    Green Apple Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for keeping track of missing work and letting kids know what they owe. Thanks for participating in the hop!

    Jessica
    http://literacyspark.blogspot.com/2015/02/deep-in-heart-of-texas-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete