Friday, August 14, 2015

Five for Friday! with some FREEBIES


Hey Ya'll!
So it feels like I haven't blogged in forever...I have been up to my eyes in back to school work. One would think after 8 years it would get easier and easier. It does in a sense, but education is evolving so much, so quickly there is always new stuff to incorporate or learn. So with that said, I do not have a room tour quite ready yet to post, but it is coming soon!! Until then it is time for the Five for Friday with DoodleBugs!





Are these not the CUTEST!!!???
I found them at Costco and HAD to have them!! I am going to put them in a cup and let my BIP's choose one to use each day. They were only 19.99! Not too shabby!!


I got a new logo made!! My amazing friend Julie over at The Inspired Classroom created this for me! It couldn't be more perfect to fit me! She has a wonderful TPT shop too! Go check it out!!I am sure you will find something cute to go home with! 

So Mr. Tang himself made a visit to my school this past week. It was a wonderful training and provided all kinds of new information. It really opened my eyes to how different I was taught in math versus how we need to be teaching and reaching the little ones now. 
Some of my take away's:
-start with a 0-99 chart and have math talk discussions about what they notice.
What do you notice in the top row? Single digit
What do you notice in the second row? Double digit
-Giving the teens and other double digit numbers nicknames to help the kids understand and recognize the numbers and know the "why" behind the number.
EX: ten= one ten zero
eleven=one ten one
twelve=one ten two
34=three tens four
etc....
Even digging deeper and noting that 34 could also be two tens fourteen 
This making it easier eventually for them to regroup. 
MIND BLOWN! I mean for real! I can't even write all the amazing things he talked about. You literally need to be there in person to walk through it with him. 
I have already made some ten frame printables I will share later once I have used them in the classroom and can take pictures of them in action! 
I am also working on a "Renaming" matching game for first and second grade to help with this nickname business. 
Good news though he is traveling! If you go to his website Greg Tang Math you can see his schedule and get some amazing resources!! There are games and printables!


 He also has a word problem generator so you don't even really have to think and create your own. You just put in the parameters and BAM! You have a word problem for the kids to work on!

OH and an app you NEED to download is called Ten Frame Mania! I got to try it out and it really is fun and the kids not only would love playing it but it challenges them to think with ten frames and place value. You have to make the numbers in a ten frame that come out in red before it gets to the maze exit. The other levels progress and get harder. I can tell you though it will be addicting, but in an amazing math mania way!
Go download it NOW!!

I also created a little business card to give to my parents so they can keep updated on all things classroom! Under the "whiteout" boxes I listed my classroom phone and email. If you haven't checked out my Twitter or FB there it is!! I update those with pics, TPT and such easier and quicker sometimes than blogging.
I am printing them in color on cardstock and will probably add a little magnet to the back.

Last but not least, I also re-did a few of my tracking sheets. I go back and forth year after year trying to find the perfect way to organize and track the kids progress. I got to playing around with my templates and some other ideas I saw and kinda mushed it all together. 

First up was how I track their running records. I wanted something that I could record more than one book at a time to save paper. Basically I can print this two sided and get 5 running records on one kid! I want to be able to record the errors but also check off the things they are consistent at as well as items that need to be addressed still. 

Second thing was how I plan guided reading for each group. 
This will give me a baseline of the direction I am headed with each group, personal notes on each kid in the group,what strategies I need to address, and any comprehension questions I know I want to ask. 
I am really hoping I have finally found and created the resource I can use for a long time. I can't wait to try both of these out and make adjustments and tweaks if needed. 

Get a copy for yourself HERE and HERE
Everyone loves a FREEBIE!!

OH and while you are grabbing those go ahead and grab my Math Attitude Posters! They are free right now, but I will be adding to it and it may not stay a freebie forever!
Click HERE


Well thanks for getting all the way to the end. I hope you found something useful to take away. 
Come back soon for my room tour 2015-2016!
Here's a sneak peak.....

Oh wait not that just kidding....bahahah


Have a BLESSED night and weekend!!!

"The Lord will fight for you, you need only be still." Exodus 14:14

Wow isn't that the truth...and a struggle at the same time. Our human reaction is to feel like we need to always be the one "fighting", so we keep ourselves busy, moving, and constantly searching for answers. But if we just be still, God will help lead and guide us, along with fighting for us! 




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for ending your post with such an important reminder. Perspective! Have a wonderful week.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete