Thursday, April 14, 2016

Math help needed!!!!! Please pass along and share!


Hello everyone!!
So I need your help! Well actually my little owls need your help! We are starting to create our own word problems independently in math. This seems like such a simple task maybe, but let me tell you it is not. I really believe in starting that early on. I mean they could do it with assistance as a whole group and the teacher is the transcriber. There are many ways you can offer guidance, support, and slow release but yet still let the little friends take ownership. I plan to elaborate more with examples on another blog post. My original intent today was asking for help haha. So like I said, we are working hard on being able to use our numeracy knowledge to build and construct word problems and then use our strategies to solve them.

Today we practiced together and then I was like "AH! What if we write word problems to other classes in first grade or other grades and have them delivered and see how they solve them!" and then we were like, "AHH! What if we write word problems and take a picture and put it on social media and ask for other kids and teacher's classes to solve them to show us how they are learning?!" and then one of my sweet as punkin pie girls was like, "AHHH! What if we wrote one and mailed it to the hospital where the sick kids are and they can have fun solving it!" and then I was like, "AHHHH! Great idea! But we will each write one and compile them and send them all at once to save Mrs. B postage!"
By the end of this whole Oprah Ah-ha moment we were out of time but had some ideas and we are going to get started soon!
We only got one written since we were so excited and all. So this is what I ask. Below is a picture of the word problem my little owls came up with all on their own and hand written by a sweetie all herself!
If you are a teacher, know a teacher, want to be a teacher lol. We would love it if you could solve the problem using whatever models and strategies that best suite you and your students. Take a picture or even a video and upload to my Facebook blog page to show us! I want my kids to see how there are multiple ways to problem solve and get to an answer. I also think it will broaden their horizons a bit more about how large the world is. Because honestly right now we sometimes can't even process the fact we live in the state of Texas, our country is the USA and stop the world we live in a continent called North America!!!And that is only ONE of SEVEN!!


Steps for completion:
1. Copy the problem and solve as a class or independently.
2. Take a picture or video of how you solved it.
3. Upload it to the Facebook page.
4. Hashtag it with #theblessedocdiva #owlslearnmath  #owlmathematicians
5. Feel free to also leave any comments you want as well over at the FB page too!

Thank you SO much for helping teach my little learners!!!Please share this with anyone and everyone that would like to participate. It does not just have to be 1st graders! We plan on doing this until the end of the year so keep your eyes peeled for more over at the FB page!! 


Have a BLESSED evening!!

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding  no one can fathom." Isaiah 40:28




No comments:

Post a Comment