Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Reading Accountability- what does it look like in primary?


Terrific Tuesday! 
We are T minus 3 days until Spring Break over in these parts! I'm not going to lie...I am going to enjoy some down time! I think it's good for the kiddos too! All work and no play makes me a dull teacher....
The Shining anyone? Scary yes? 
Anywhoo, we are at that point in the year of first grade that we need to be adding to all of our reading skill sets......fluency skills, comprehension skills, decoding skills....
We have been trying as we might! I try SO hard to make sure what we do with our reading time is WORTH our time! I want to make sure what they are doing is applying directly to what I want the end result to be. 
Here are some examples of this in action:

-I put them with a buddy for buddy reading
-They chose one book together to buddy read
-After reading, they grabbed a pack of the reading response cards off the wall (of course I don't have a picture of this particular organizational idea) I have them hanging on a ring and enough for groups to have one set. 
- They then turn to the particular card assigned for the day. (this happened to be card #35)
- Groups will discuss together the answer to the prompted response. 
" I would/ would not recommend this book because...."
I have discussed with them prior that it is OK to not agree, this just means we have different opinions. If you don't agree you discuss why.
-Once it has been talked about, they now record their response in their reading journal. 
The eye icon is what they "read" to answer.
The pencil icon is the prompt they are writing and responding to in their journal. 

This group read  "MuddyPaws".


"The Very Hungry Caterpillar"



"There was an old lady who swallowed a bat"




We also discuss some acceptable and unacceptable reasons as well...
"Because it's cool..."
"Because I liked it...."
"Because my buddy liked it..."
"Because it was funny...."
I discuss with them about trying to go into detail. Spill your guts to me so to speak.
 "Because it's cool..."  (What made it cool?)
"Because I liked it...." (Why did you like it?)
"Because my buddy liked it..." (Your buddies brain is not your brain...?)
"Because it was funny...."  (What made it funny, which part?)

I want to them also be able to use references from the actual book as well.

It's always an evolving thing-this whole fostering their love for reading and getting them to dig deep.
Small steps! 

These can be used for buddy reading or independent reading. You can assign a card for the day or they can free choice. Small group or whole group? you choose.
There are a ton of ways to utilize them throughout your reading block. 

Here is a break down of the objectives included in the pack.








If you are interested in checking out what they can do for you click here!

Keep an eye out, I will be adding other packs as well (Nonfiction, Fairytale, Chapter books)

If you do happen to try them out-I'd love to know what you think, how you use them, etc!! Leave a comment, email me, or visit my FB page and leave a comment there!


Happy Reading...And Responding!

Have a BLESSED night!!

"If Jesus Christ can rise up from the dead, just imagine what HE can do for your life, Trust in HIM!"

OH the power in those words! I think we often forget just how big our God is, just how amazing he is, just how powerful he is, just how deep his love for us is. We get pulled down daily by things around us and the sinful ways of the world, but let us not forget exactly WHO holds us together and hold us in the palm of HIS hand. I mean we are talking about the power of walking on water and rising from the dead?! He's got YOU! 


No comments:

Post a Comment