Monday, July 22, 2019

Class Experts-Maintain minimal interruptions and build leadership


You're a teacher. 
You get asked a million and two questions a day. 
You are a broken record.
Comes with the territory.
We try so hard to model, train, and raise self sufficient students in our classrooms. 
It can be done. 

As a classroom teacher I wanted my kids to ask questions, truly. 
I loved to hear and see their inquisitive minds. 
However, I could have done without the "What do I do when I'm done?" question. 
Because let's be real, I am 110% sure I already covered that. 
Last year.
First day of school.
Last month. 
Last week.
Yesterday.
30 minutes ago.
30 seconds ago.

Enter the EXPERT chart! Cutting down on interruptions since 2012-ish. 

Now the amazing thing about this "Ask an Expert" chart is it can be modified for ANY grade, ANY classroom, ANY class, ANY teacher.


The anchor chart above is an example of some of the experts I used.  


Let's break it down:
Find or train a student who you know or have noticed is an "expert" or very reliable for a certain task in your room and you want them to be the contact person. Once they know the expectations for that "job" as the expert then they are the one who the other students go to when they have a question arise about that particular topic. Thus, cutting down interruptions for you while in small group, working one on one, conferring, etc! 

Example: 
Computer Expert- they knew how to turn on/off, log on, use headphones, get to assigned websites, etc. When another student needed assistance with the computer, instead of coming straight to me and interrupting small group they would go get the computer expert. 

What happens if the expert can't figure it out for some reason? Then the expert has permission to come ask me. It didn't happen very often and still cut back on interruptions overall. 

What are some possible expert categories?
-shoe tying
-bathroom
-computer
-ipads
-technology
-stations
-fire drill
-lunch
-I'm done
-class library
-office
-new student 
-recess
-ETC!

The list could go on and can be made to fit your needs! Have one or have many assigned experts.

I just made a chart, and once I found my experts I'd write their name (you could easily add kid's pictures too to help with any new comers, nonreaders, etc!)
I also sometimes buddied students up as experts on one topic. This helped with bigger jobs, but also gave more kids a chance to build responsibility in a safe environment. 

Experts can be changed out for new experts often or not, the choice is yours. Other students can choose to prove themselves responsible. 

There really isn't much to it, and really helped build leadership and responsibility within my students. (I used this strategy in first grade)

I hope you try the expert chart out this next school year and love it! 

Have a blessed week!!

"For the Spirit of God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline."
2 Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment