Friday, July 12, 2019

Classroom Library Management

Classroom library. 
What comes to mind when I say those two words? Excitement? Stress? 
I know it can be a big topic for teachers when setting up their classroom and you yourself may have struggled at some point with setting up your library, kids checking out books, how will that work, etc...
I can tell you my first year I was all over the place trying different strategies.

Well 11 years later, lo and behold, I had found something that worked consistently for me and my kiddos! I don't always go based off the first year I try something new because it could go disastrous the very next year. I usually give it a bit to sink in, work out any kinks found early on, and let a few classes rotate through my doors to make sure I want to stick with that particular plan.

Once I finally got my library organized/labeled and found that system to have worked well, I then moved on to the "how" my kids would check out books. Being the control freak organized person  I am I wanted something that would not only help me keep up, but give some responsibility to my kids in an organized, manageable way. I did not want the class library to take control over our every waking minute since there are many other important things to accomplish during the year.

Enter the Library Shopping Cards!

An easy way to manage their checkout time. They are simple simple to use. 
1. Print on cardstock and laminate for durability.
2. Use a wet erase or even a sharpie to fill out once you know your kids reading levels and what their "just right books" would be.
3. Kids can keep them at their desks, in a book bag, or even stored in a jewelry hanger.


You fill in the information based off of what you want them to get when they visit the library.
As you teach them how to do it, they really take ownership of searching for the correct books without feeling smothered but also gaining some ownership in their choices, even with some teacher parameters. They also get the opportunity to choose "free choice" books as well, because their reading level does not define them as a reader-but we also know reading some books within their band of text is beneficial as well.


The wonderful thing is you can simply erase their info as they move up reading levels and the amount of books they can check out. It also divides them up during the week for their specific shopping days so they aren't all going at the same time.
Typically I had 3-4 kids on the same shopping day.

The levels I have on the cards are aligned to Fountas and Pinnell.

On a side note- I had two carts of books in my classroom library. Blue was the leveled books and Green was the free choice. I had written the level on the book in the top right corner of the books on the blue cart since these are the "just right books" they choose from.  (organizing a class library is a whole other topic and so many ways and prefernces teachers have)

 Green cart: The labels on each bucket have a number correlating to the number on the book. They are also divided up even further into categories:
-hard picture books
-soft picture books
-science (animals)
-science (earth) 
-SS (people)
-SS (land)
etc and so forth..
So when the kids needed to put one of the free choice books back all they had to do was look at the number label on the book and match it to the numbe ron the bucket. 




This has made it a ton easier to inventory when needed or when looking for a specific book. 

I really hope you find these helpful. Like I said, it worked consistently for first graders!!
Oh I also had a "Library Expert" who goes once or twice a week to check the bins and turn the books to spines out as needed. Takes the pressure off of me having to do this as well!



You can find the cards HERE
They are good K-3!

Side note: I am a huge advocate for math/science departmentalized teachers to also have some sort of classroom library set up. It does not have to be huge or expensive, but something so they can see the overlap of reading in all contents. You could even check out books from your school library and set them up around the room for a content topic you are teaching. They don't have to do the whole library shopping cards, but still have access to books other than just the ELA side. 


Thanks for popping by!

"Grace is having a relationship with someone's heart, not their behaviors."

No comments:

Post a Comment